The series, “How Do You Plan For Retirement” is designed to help you get targeted information that will help you avoid some common mistakes.

  • Rule of 72 - Your Financial Advisor's Secret Weapon
    As a Financial Advisor, I could quickly tell a client how much money their current retirement savings would be worth at retirement.  I did not use a calculator, spreadsheet, or computer program.  So, how did I do this? The Rule of 72 was my secret weapon!  Using this simple formula, I could tell a client how much his current savings for retirement would be worth when they needed the money. The Rule of 72 Here is how the rule works.  You divide 72 by your rate of return.  This tells you how many years it will take your money to
  • Learn About The Stock Market-Odd Lot Theory
    When I first started to learn about the stock market as a Financial Advisor, I thought I wanted to be a stock picker.  I knew I had much  to learn about the stock market, but I had about $5,000 in my IRA and wanted to prove myself.  I looked for a stock that was on the rise and had familiar products.  I bought 56 shares of Apple stock at $87 a share.  The stock had been on the rise and had fallen.  I was positive it would rise again.  Shortly after I bought the stock, it rose 20% and I
  • Learn About The Stock Market: Dollar Cost Averaging
    When you have a large sum of money to invest (i.e from a 401k rollover), how do you invest it?  I’m not asking about what stocks or mutual funds you should pick.  When do you buy your investments?  What is the right time?  Over the last two years, the S&P 500 has had months that returned -7.2% to 10.8% (See YCharts).  You can’t time the market, so you’ll need to use dollar cost averaging. In this latest installment of the the “Learn About the Stock Market” series, you will learn about dollar cost averaging and I’ll show you how it
  • Learn About The Stock Market: Rebalancing
    Do you buy low and sell high, or do you buy high and sell low?  You should buy low and sell high so you can make a profit, but what is your strategy? Most investors do not have a solid strategy for buying low and selling high.  Today, in our Learn About the Stock Market Series, we are going to give you a simple strategy to buy low and sell high.  This strategy is also a great stock market risk management tool.  I’m talking about Rebalancing. Rebalancing Defined Rebalancing Your Portfolio:  Review your account on a regular basis to move
  • Odd Lot Theory in the Learn About the Stock Market Series
      Welcome to the latest post in our Learn About The Stock Market (Series).  Today we are going to discuss the Odd Lot Theory.  What is the Odd Lot Theory?  How can I use the Odd Lot Theory to make more money? What is the Odd Lot Theory What do you think the biggest difference is between large and small investors? Large, or institutional investors, are professional money managers that buy and sell large amounts of stock.  They work for university endowment funds, state pension funds, and mutual funds.  When large investors buy stock, they purchase in lots of 100 shares of stocks (or
  • What Does My Pay Stub Mean - Pay Stub Details Part 1 of 2 – Budget Life!
        This week in the Budget Life! series, we are going to review a pay stub and learn about all the pay stub details that are listed.  In the image above, you will see my pay stub details.  I’ve scrambled many of the details, but you can see the main headings.  Let’s jump right in. Pay Stub Details – Top Part of the Pay Stub At the top of every pay stub is the personal details of you and your employer.  While the laws vary by state in regards to what goes in your pay stub details, you can
  • What Does My Pay Stub Mean - Pay Stub Details Part 2 of 2 – Budget Life!
        This week in the Budget Life! series, we are going to continue our review of a pay stub.  In the image above, you will see my pay stub details.  I’ve scrambled many of the details, but you can see the main headings.  Let’s get back to it. Pay Stub Details – Deductions Deductions are broken into two categories in your pay stub details, before tax and after tax.  Before tax deductions are those are taken out of your pay check before Uncle Sam gets his hands on your money.  After tax deductions mean that you pay taxes on
  • Get Rich and Be Sexy! How to Set SMART Goals
      In Sid Savara’s article, Why 3% of Harvard MBAs Make Ten Times as Much as the Other 97% Combined, he cites a 1979 study that focused in on one question – “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”  The study reports that only 3 % of the MBAs wrote down their goals and their achievements were far above their classmates.  While this study was a hoax (Savara points out in a later article) the basic principle for the study holds true – set goals and you will be more successful. So, how