Do you make enough money? Do you spend enough time with your family? Are you where you thought you would be in your life? Are you frustrated enough to do something about it? If you are, No Excuses! The Power of Self-Discipline by Brian Tracy is the next book you should read.
Who Is This Book For – No Excuses! The Power of Self-Discipline by Brian Tracy Book
I was first introduced to Brian Tracy by reading his book, Eat That Frog (Time Management) three years ago and that book changed my life. After having a discussion with a co-worker about Brian Tracy a few weeks ago, I picked up No Excuses! The Power of Self-Discipline by Brian Tracy. Tracy’s style resonates well with busy parents. He is short, to the point, and gives you concrete steps to follow – a model I try to emulate here at www.5minutemoneytips.com. After reading No Excuses, I realized that this is one book that should be read by every college graduate the day after graduation.
What Will I Get From No Excuses by Brian Tracy
No Excuses! The Power of Self-Discipline by Brian Tracy is broken into three parts – self discipline for 1) personal success, 2) work and money, and 3) self, family and friends. Each chapter ends with series of action exercises. The following exercises are at the end of Chapter 1:
- If your work life and career were ideal, what would it look like? What one discipline could you develop to help you achieve it?
- If your family life were ideal, what would it look like? What one discipline could you develop to help you achieve it?
- If your health were perfect in every way, what would it look like? What one discipline could you develop to help you achieve it?
- If your financial situation were ideal, what would it look like? What one discipline could you develop to help you achieve it?
- Why aren’t you as successful as you want be? What one discipline would help you the most to achieve all you want?
- What one skill could you develop that could help you reach more of your goals?
- If you could waive a magic wand, and be completely disciplined in one area, which one discipline could have the greatest impact on your life?
What I Like Best About No Excuses
No Excuses! The Power of Self-Discipline by Brian Tracy is short and to the point. Tracy tells some interesting stories, but does not waste a lot of time on fluff. The book is broken down in a way that allows you to read it in short bursts over 21 days (about 20 minutes each day). At the end of each chapter, you are presented with action items that help you put into practice what you have just read.
No Excuses Table of Contents
PART I: SELF-DISCIPLINE AND PERSONAL SUCCESS
- Chapter 1 Self-Discipline and Success
- Chapter 2 Self-Discipline and Character
- Chapter 3 Self-Discipline and Responsibility
- Chapter 4 Self-Discipline and Goals
- Chapter 5 Self-Discipline and Personal Excellence
- Chapter 6 Self-Discipline and Courage
- Chapter 7 Self-Discipline and Persistence
PART II: SELF-DISCIPLINE IN BUSINESS, SALES, AND FINANCES
- Chapter 8 Self-Discipline and Work
- Chapter 9 Self-Discipline and Leadership
- Chapter 10 Self-Discipline and Business
- Chapter 11 Self-Discipline and Sales
- Chapter 12 Self-Discipline and Money
- Chapter 13 Self-Discipline and Time Management
- Chapter 14 Self-Discipline and Problem Solving
PART III: SELF-DISCIPLINE AND THE GOOD LIFE
- Chapter 15 Self-Discipline and Happiness
- Chapter 16 Self-Discipline and Personal Health
- Chapter 17 Self-Discipline and Physical Fitness
- Chapter 18 Self-Discipline and Marriage
- Chapter 19 Self-Discipline and Children
- Chapter 20 Self-Discipline and Friendship
- Chapter 21 Self-Discipline and Peace of Mind
Should I Read No Excuses by Brian Tracy
If you are not happy with your life or want more out of your life, then I recommend No Excuses! The Power of Self-Discipline by Brian Tracy for you. There is a caveat though. As with any self-help book, Tracy requires you to work to achieve more. This is not like The Secret by Rhonda Bryne where you can just sit back, visualize success and it will come into your path. This is more along the lines of luck favors the prepared. Tracy acknowledges that success requires hard work and discipline. He will give you concrete steps on how to start your day, execute your day, and achieve the most in every hour.
If you have never heard of Brian Tracy before, you may ask what makes him an authority. Tracy started out in life with very little. He worked at many laboring jobs until he could no longer find work (reminds me of my days of bailing hay and working at gas stations). Then he took a sales job. While he struggled and did poorly he saw the successful sales people enjoying their job and living large. One day he was told that the top 20% of sales people earned 80% of the commissions. This made him realize that he and the other 80% were fighting over the leftovers. Tracey asked for advice from top sales people, started copying the successful sales people and his career took off.
Is this book just for sales people? No. While there is a chapter dedicated to sales and many stories revolving around sales, Tracy gets into how to be successful at your non-sales job, in your family life, with time management, and with money.
To learn more about Brian Tracy, I strongly recommend visiting his website at http://www.briantracy.com and signing up for his newsletter.
Watch a Video With Brian Tracy Discussing Self Discipline in Time Management
Pick up the book and tell me what you think the comments section below.