How Can I Get a Credit Report? You can get a free credit report every year from Equifax for free. Below are step by step instructions on how you can get a credit report.
1. Go to www.annualcreditreport.com (1), Choose Your State (2), and click on Request Report (3).
2. Fill in your personal information (1), enter the characters (2), and click Continue (3).
3. Choose Equifax (1) and click Next (2)
4. Click Next (1) to leave the Annual Credit Report site and enter Equifax’s site to get your Credit Report
5. Enter the last four digits of your Social Security Number (1) and Click To Continue (2).
6. Wait for the Equifax system to retrieve your personal information.
7. Now, comes the tricky part (sometimes). You will need to answer “Out of Wallet” questions. These questions are designed to protect your information and come from your credit report. If you don’t answer these questions correctly, your credit report will be mailed to you and you will not be able to view it online – so don’t guess. Answer your questions (1-4) and then click Continue (5).
8. Next you will be taken to a page where they will try to sell you a credit score (X). I tried this one year only to find out that it was not my FICO score that I received. Instead it was a Equifax score that was worthless. Skip this part and go to your credit report (1).
9. You will now be taken to your credit report. Make sure to read everything on the page and do the following:
- Look at your Accounts Overview (1). This is a summary of all of your accounts.
- Review your Accounts Age (2). This will tell you what are your oldest and newest accounts. If someone has opened an account with your credit, you may see it here.
- Review your Potentially Negative Information Section. Address anything that shows up here first.
- Make sure that you print your report (4) and review all of the information in your credit report.
10. Sign up for my newsletter and you can get a reminder every year to check your Equifax report.
- I Used My Credit Card at Neiman Marcus - Free Equifax Credit Report
- 2013 Identity Theft and Fraud Statistics
- Will Checking My Credit Report Lower My Credit Score
- Requesting Your Experian Credit Report Video
- Identity Theft Protection For Kids
- How Can I Get a Credit Report - A Step-by-Step Guide to Requesting Your TransUnion Credit Report
- How Can I Get a Credit Report? - A Step-by-Step Guide to Requesting Your Experian Credit Report